Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Memo

The one concept that I learned in Information Design this semester is repetition. Before even receiving this assignment, I noticed how I have grown from this course. I work in the mass communications design office, and my co-worker was working on his resume. He asked me to check over it.

I scanned the page and noticed inconsistencies throughout it. There was different type throughout the page as well as various formats. Some things that should have been put into the same group, such as job titles, were bolded and others were not. On the right side of the page, there was also different alignment.

I might have noticed this before the class, but I am not confident that I would have caught everything. After taking the class however, I could not ignore the disparities. I pointed out the difference in alignments and formats that he had not noticed.

I understand repetition throughout design will help me in my future career. If I design something, I can make the font, color, alignment or other items repeat throughout the page to bring together a concept. I can then create variety by purpose, instead of having multiple formats become a distraction to the viewer.

Repetition is in anything we create. Like Dr. Rice said, even if there is a design without repetition, there still is repetition by default. The fact that nothing is repeating consistently, means that it is repeating.

Repetition creates emphasis. If you repeat something, you are showing its relevance and importance. You show that you have a purpose for putting it on the page. Instead of looking like you randomly chose a color, alignment, or other format, repeating it shows you chose it for a reason.

Repetition will always be in our society. Throughout advertisements, and other media, repetition is used. (Even as I copy and paste this into a blog post I realize the repetition. Besides the first paragraph, the first three paragraphs start with I, and the last three with the word repetition. I did not even realize this was happening until I started to put spaces into between the paragraphs.) I noticed repetition before this class, but not as much after taking information design. One needs to be consistent when sending a message, as to not distract the viewer from the information being presented.
`

No comments: