Thursday, March 3, 2011

Design #3




For this design I started out thinking I wanted to use positive and negative space. I tried thinking about what I could do to achieve this. I first started out with a comb, and tried drawing different objects into the comb. Then I decided I wanted to do buildings.

To look at my design from a different perspective, I literally took the piece of paper I was drawing on and turned it upside down. Then I came up with the idea of a piano, and thought that I could stick the buildings and piano together.

After knowing what the basic idea what for my design, I searched for skylines. I didn’t just want any skyline, like Chicago where I have never been, but rather something that had some substance to me. I’m going to London this summer, so I eventually decided on the London skyline.

Using Photoshop, I got rid of everything besides the buildings. Making sure everything was very crisp. I wanted to create contrast throughout my design. Using black and white helped with this greatly, but I wanted to make sure nothing blended together either. I wanted each line to be crisp with no grey looking areas.

Then I needed to take my design and make it into something that was actually useful. I thought a business card would be best for this. It would be eye catching and get attention from anyone who saw it. I needed to think of a company name for the business card. At first I had City Play.

Then I thought I could have a word that was actually spelt different, but sounded the same. “City Plae could be interesting,” I thought. Then I thought of another way I could spell music. That’s when I came up with Musique. I typed it into Google and found musique concrete. This went perfectly with my design of a piano and buildings. It was perfect for me design made of concrete buildings and a piano that could make music.

But what is Musique concrete? I found out it is experimental technique of music composition that uses recorded sounds as raw material. The recorded sounds do not have to be from instruments or voices. It could be any sounds from nature or otherwise used together to create new music. I immediately fell in love with this name and idea, so I decided that would be the business name for the card.

I really enjoyed creating this design, because it was completely from scratch. There were absolutely no premature or boxes I had to stay in the create it. It came from a simple idea of wanting to experiment with positive and negative space. I only wanted an image that was two images in one, and nothing else.

What I got was so much more. I designed a business card, for a business that does not exist, but in my mind should. There should be a recording studio, or music business located in a big city name Musique Concrete.

1 comment:

Rich said...

Good description of what moves you've made in this particular re/design. The image is of a cityscape and a piano, which clearly points out the combination of concepts. You've worked hard here to use technologies to make the image sharp. Might put the website above the phone number or the website address below the image in order to separate the content better. Might include a far left and right line for enclosure of the graphic. Perhaps a motto or subtitle is needed to tell what musique concrete is...